Breaking News

I woke up to my dad telling me about a fatal crash in Hebron. I figured someone would have had the story already in for the paper today, but when I got in I found out I was writing that story.

I’m not sure if I should say that the story was “breaking news” because everyone already knew about it. All the bigger papers had “stories” up and everyone was tweeting it by the time I got into work. It was everywhere. I was the only one who didn’t have anything immediate to work on, so I ended up with it.

I was able to get in touch with  the CT State Police Spokesman and the City of Hartford Director of Communications for the story. I got the police report faxed to me and it ended up being almost nine inches. There wasn’t any new information in my story. It was pretty straight forward. I won’t provide any details on the story here. It’s not the easiest thing to read and it was a big test for me. I was really struck by the whole thing. I’ll do a post on it this weekend. I’m going to have to get used to stories like the one I wrote today.

I also wrote a brief about a car fire in Willimantic that happened last night. It was easier getting the report than writing the story. I kid you not. The acting fire chief sent me the report two minutes after I got off the phone with him. Charlie, the head editor, changed my brief around, which I was expecting after I wrote it. I wish I had an example of what The Chronicle usually does for things like that so I could have used it as a reference.

I have a lot to learn about car crash stories, that’s for sure.

After deadline, I went to a special “open house” for an EASTCONN division. I was there for a little over an hour. I took two tours of the place and felt like that was enough. I don’t think I was budgeted a lot of space for it.

I had a little bit of trouble writing the story after. I wasn’t sure what to put in and what to leave out. I could have easily had a 30 inch story, but I finished it at around 19 so Mike has something to work with for the night shift tonight.

This weekend is my last long weekend. I start Monday full-time at two stories a day.

I’m nervous.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: